With OpenOLAT 14.0 we release our latest major release. An essential part of this release is a modification of the metadata handling of the file system and its relocation into the database. Based on this, the integration of the document editors Office 365, Only Office and Collabora could be initiated and realized at different locations in OpenOlat. New functionalities also include the integration of Adobe Connect and the new course component „Livestream“. The manual evaluation via Rubrics as well as a simplified examination mode for lecturers extend the possibilities for carrying out eAssessments. In addition, there were adjustments to the role concept as well as extensions to the administration. We have also taken care of the OpenOlat theme – for the 20th anniversary, the standard theme has been upgraded and now shines in a new „blue“.
Overall more than 80 new features and improvements have been added to OpenOLAT since release 13.2 and many processes have been improved. Here, you can find the most important new features and changes of the OpenOLAT 14.0 release. In addition to these improvements, more than 100 bugs have been fixed. The complete list of changes for 13.2 – 13.2.7 can be found here.
File metadata in the database
A lot has happened under the hood of OpenOlat 14.0. In order to support the WOPI protocol for Office integration in OpenOlat, it had to be ensured that files could be addressed with a unique ID regardless of shifts or renaming. The metadata of files stored up to then in numerous XML files were therefore transferred into the database.
This has significant advantages:
- A file can be found and assigned to users without having to crawl the entire file system
- Possibility to display and manage the files with the highest memory consumption (including revisions)
- Quota calculation and directory listings can be done with a single database query, complex file system calls are not necessary
This can reduce the load on the file system, especially for larger installations.
Integration of online document editors
In order to significantly improve work with documents in OpenOlat and to support collaborative work, three document editors were integrated:
- Collabora Office
- Only Office
- Office 365
The activation and configuration takes place in the administration. You can also define there whether the use of the respective editor is to be restricted to a particular authorization group (author, coach or manager).
With the document editors, text, spreadsheet and presentation documents can be created and edited directly in the browser at different locations in OpenOlat. Your own documents no longer have to be downloaded for editing and then uploaded back to the appropriate location. A versioning of the documents is also integrated for the course elements.
Integration into course elements
The document editors are available in the following course elements:
- Participant folder
- Task and group task
Use in other areas
- Documents can be created and edited directly as learning resources in the authoring area
- Documents can be created as content in ePortfolio entries and edited online
Collaborative work in OpenOlat
The course element „Folder“ can now also be used to collaborate on documents. If a document is opened by several people, these will appear in the document (depending on the document editor used, e.g. at the top right edge or left in the navigation bar). Editing is displayed to all other people by displaying the name of the editor in the appropriate place. In addition, the text cursors have a different color for each editing person.
License Office Editors
The document editors are third-party products which are not part of OpenOlat. In order to use them, the appropriate editor must be provided and configured. For Collabora and OnlyOffice there are free and chargeable offers in a self-hosting or cloud operation. The Office 365 connection can only be used after approval by Microsoft and a user contract.
The integration of Adobe Connect extends the range of „online rooms“ in OpenOlat. The old course element „virtual classroom“ is replaced by this, the functionality is largely implemented again on the new element. The activation of the tool „Adobe Connect“ and the configuration of the access parameters takes place in the administration. Additional settings such as the use of a meeting room per appointment or per course element are also possible at this point.
Currently, the Adobe Connect Cloud and the web conferencing service via DFN are supported. In addition to the new course element Adobe Connect, an Adobe Connect group tool has also been implemented.
Course element Adobe Connect
With the new course element „Adobe Connect“ it is possible to create meeting rooms in the course. Meeting templates can be selected from already stored Adobe Connect templates.
In addition, special access requirements can be defined for the meeting on the course element. Depending on the administrative configuration, certain access conditions are set automatically.
Group tool Adobe Connect
The Adobe Connect group tool can be activated as a collaborative tool by the group owner. The group owner also creates the meeting rooms that are available for group members to share online sessions. Recordings and used documents can also be shared with group members by the group coach.
Available meetings and recordings
Future and past meetings are listed separately. If a meeting is selected, the Adobe Connect room can be entered. After an online session, the recordings and documents can be shared with the participants by the course or group coach.
In the course element „Manual assessment“ a questionnaire with Rubrics can now be integrated and configured. With this extension, coaches can, for example, better evaluate the correct execution of activities by participants during a practical test with individual stations.
In the questionnaire, the individual questions are recorded in categories and mapped with a Likert scale. A flexible use of the rubric assessment is made possible in particular by
- a different weighting of individual questions within a rubric
- a new point scale 0 – x or x – 0, which also allows an evaluation with „O points“
After the evaluation, a final score for each participant is calculated from the individual questions, which appears in the assessment tool. In the statistics (accessible in the assessment tool or on the course element), the participant scores for each rubric and also for each individual question can be viewed. The average value is also given.
The rubric assessment can also be applied without scoring and can, for example, be used to record qualitative feedback.
Simplified assessment mode for coaches
The configuration of the assessment mode for sharp tests is complex and can only be controlled with appropriate authorization. Now a simplified version of the assessment mode has been implemented for coaches based on lecture management. Coaches can mark lecture blocks as „exams“, connect the desired test and create an exam mode with a few clicks. The data already contained in the lecture blocks such as dates, location and participant configuration are automatically transferred to the newly created assessment mode.
Further settings such as IP address range or Safe Exam Browser usage are preconfigured centrally in the administration and are also adopted.
Date shifts at a lecture block have a direct effect on the time entries of the assessment mode and are updated accordingly.
In the assessment tool, coaches can view the active assessment modes and control examinations manually, i.e. start and end them. The integrated test can also be accessed.
Data archiving: Download multiple documents
Until now, it was only possible to download documents and results per course element in the data archiving of a course. Now it is also possible to select several or all elements via checkboxes and thus archive the contained documents collectively.
Bulk assessment: Set visibility and status
The assessment status („Assessed“) and the visibility of the results for the participants can now also be set using bulk assessment. Previously, this was only possible manually and for the status only individually for each participant. For tasks the option „Accept submission“ has been added.
PDF export of efficiency statements
In the assessment tool, the efficiency statements could already be downloaded separately for each participant as a PDF file. From now on, the PDF export can also be carried out collectively for selected or all course participants.
Moving users to another organization
In the user administration, several users can now be moved to another organization at the same time, which is very helpful, for example, for organisation-related restructuring. Up to now it was only possible to move users to another organization individually.
- Implementation of a new course element „Livestream“ for controlled access to livestreams based on the appointment and room information of an external livestream management system
- Display all curricula of a user using a new curriculum tab in the user overview
- Adjustment of the curriculum roles „Curriculum Administrator“, „Curriculum Owner“ and „Curriculum Element Owner“ including fine-tuning of the respective authorizations
- Implementation of the curriculum role of „Master coach“ in preparation for an extended supervision function
- New OpenOlat standard theme in beautiful „Sea-Blue“
The QTI 1.2 Editor for editing QTI 1.2 questions is locked as of Release 14. Existing questions can still be used. QTI 1.2 support ends with Release 15.
- Password requirements such as character length, use of special characters, upper and lower case letters can be configured via Administration
- Block the user from changing the mobile number needed to reset the password via SMS if the user data is synchronized from an external system via REST-API
- For defined user-to-user relationships such as supervisors, parents and the line manager role the automatic sending of PDF certificate copies can be activated
- User profile photo editing and modification can be locked when synchronized via an external system
- Displayed static folder for linking documents in the info message (login page)
- Improved and clearer navigation structure in user administration
- Integration of WOPI protocol for integrating Office 365 and Collabora including administration menu for configuration
- Update of social media logins like LinkedIn, Facebook, Google, Twitter as well as Tequila, OpenID, GoToMeeting and ADFS
- Development of an infrastructure for publishing the REST API documentation
- Update to log4j 2
- Update of various libraries and Maven plugins
Release Notes – OpenOLAT – Version 14.0.4
- [OO-4193] – XSS-filter filters internal links
Release Notes – OpenOLAT – Version 14.0.3
- [OO-4158] – Managed calendar events can be changed per drag&drop
- [OO-4163] – Rubric scoring: rubrics are only displayed for participants when points are transferred
- [OO-4169] – In the AssessmentTool some uploaded Files from a QTI2.1 Upload Test Item can't be downloaded
- [OO-4171] – RS in manual scoring configuration
- [OO-4172] – Collabora (text-document) error message after saving
- [OO-4173] – Collabora template is in French
- [OO-4176] – RS: identifier too long in organisation
- [OO-4177] – RS if special signs are not allowed in passwords
- [OO-4178] – Thumbnails of course not updated if versioning is disabled
- [OO-4180] – Curriculum: the search doesn't work
- [OO-4164] – Rubric scoring: Show rubric questionnaire directly for participants
- [OO-4166] – Curriculum: able to move a curriculum element from a curriculum to the other per REST API
- [OO-4175] – Accept longer Skype ID
- [OO-4179] – Add read/viewed status to check list box
- [OO-4181] – Edubase: Static URLs for cover files
Release Notes – OpenOLAT – Version 14.0.2
- [OO-4110] – Fonts with Firefox
- [OO-4140] – Survey not accessible with course auto booking
- [OO-4141] – QM: Biggest bullet in heat map should be as big as possible
- [OO-4145] – Limit for full text search<>DB search in question tool is too small for some setup
- [OO-4146] – BC: peek view show the files of the whole folder nodes and not a specific course element
- [OO-4147] – Quota of home folder cannot be changed in User profile
- [OO-4153] – RS: sort in resources of groups
- [OO-4154] – XML Signature namespace is wrong
- [OO-4156] – GTA: notifications only for course members not admins
- [OO-4157] – QTI 2.1: negative numerical input with relative tolerance
- [OO-3890] – Export a whole curriculum with the whole structure
- [OO-4144] – Sort learning resources within tab user management with courses ended @ the end
- [OO-4148] – Enhance caching of fonts and CSS
- [OO-4159] – Implement 2 select all on flexi table: select all all, select all on the visible page
- [OO-4160] – Delete curriculum
Release Notes – OpenOLAT – Version 14.0.1
- [OO-4122] – Drag & Drop of course elements in courseeditor
- [OO-4124] – Respect weight in trend diagram when using in rubric
- [OO-4129] – Portaits disappear from member list
- [OO-4133] – Cannot open Wiki
- [OO-4135] – Video: delete a video doesn’t discard the view
- [OO-4137] – Cannot download assessment documents with a mix of +, blanks and parenthesis in file name
- [OO-4138] – „Show name“ configuration of a rubric is disabled
- [OO-4139] – RS when filter trend diagram by insufficient values
- [OO-4123] – PDF export of the efficiency statements of all participants
- [OO-4125] – Detailed report of the rubric answers in the assessment course node
- [OO-4118] – Bulk assessment: allow „Bestanden“ in the imported CSV file
- [OO-4128] – Adobe Connect does not recognize Host Licence
- [OO-4131] – Creating a user should set current org by default
- [OO-4136] – Password check ignores user attibutes checks
Release Notes – OpenOLAT – Version 14.0
- [OO-3660] – Course copy: Folder and document metadata (title, description, author) won’t be copied
- [OO-3995] – Test: menu icon remains in the middle of the screen on small devices
- [OO-4101] – AdobeConnectProviderTest seems to be timezone dependent
- [OO-4105] – Adobe Connect
- [OO-4112] – OOM: in coaching tool in the details of a group
- [OO-4115] – RepositoryEntries with close managed flag should not be closable with the status dropdown
- [OO-4116] – Infos button in authoring env. doesn’t land always in infos page
- [OO-4120] – Don’t send reminders of closed courses
- [OO-3515] – New role master coach (homeroom teacher) for groups/curricula
- [OO-3887] – Adobe Connect virtual classroom module
- [OO-3888] – Course element „Adobe Connect Virtual Classroom“
- [OO-3889] – Group tool „Adobe Connect Virtual Classroom“
- [OO-3932] – WOPI protocol support
- [OO-3933] – WOPI admin and configuration
- [OO-3934] – VFS metadata refactoring, move metadata to database
- [OO-3937] – WOPI Implementation for Collabora Office
- [OO-3938] – WOPI Implementation for MS Office365
- [OO-3939] – Office document support in folder component
- [OO-3940] – Office document support in the learning resource management
- [OO-3941] – Office document support in the task course element
- [OO-3942] – Office document support in the participant folder element
- [OO-3943] – Office document support as part of the e-portfolio content editor
- [OO-3945] – Archive tool: allow download for all documents of several tasks/gta
- [OO-4000] – Library module
- [OO-4009] – WOPI-like Implementation for OnlyOffice
- [OO-4028] – Option to send PDF certificate copy to User-to-User relation
- [OO-4029] – Option to send PDF certificate copy to line manager role
- [OO-4030] – Password requirements configurator for system administration
- [OO-4043] – Course element „Livestream“
- [OO-4045] – Simplified assessment mode for course coaches
- [OO-4049] – Config option to disable user portrait image file upload
- [OO-4065] – Tool to bulk-move user organisation roles
- [OO-4067] – New tab curriculum in user management views of a user
- [OO-4080] – Rubric scoring – review questionnaire in manual scoring course element
- [OO-4062] – Replace NekoHTML
- [OO-4068] – Read-only editor for QTI 1.2
- [OO-4081] – Remove dependency to Graphene
- [OO-4096] – REST: infrastructure to publish REST-API documentation
- [OO-3609] – Log4j 1.2 EOL
- [OO-3914] – Add status and visibility to assessment bulk gradingworkflow
- [OO-3924] – Show Static Folder within info messages in the admin section
- [OO-3930] – Documentation of the Message Admin-Token
- [OO-3962] – Right alignment of headers in course statistic
- [OO-3994] – Show metadata form when creating new documents
- [OO-3998] – Enhance upgrader
- [OO-4007] – Update libraries
- [OO-4015] – More options for SMS user properties and password-reset configuration
- [OO-4034] – Testing and updating LinkedIn and Facebook login providers
- [OO-4058] – Refine organisation and curriculum roles for curriculum management
- [OO-4064] – Improve menu structure in user management
- [OO-4069] – Replace Antisamy with Java HTML Sanitizer
- [OO-4072] – Improved OpenOlat theme
- [OO-4117] – Excel table export in assessment tool has icons as headers