With OpenOLAT 13.0 we release our latest major release. The main components of this release are the new modules for mapping organizational and curricular structures. This is accompanied by a significant expansion of the role concept. A new module for comprehensive quality management has also been implemented. In the course of this, the questionnaire was also completely revised. A new configuration tool for learning resources and courses and the introduction of a publication status make this release a further milestone in the history of OpenOLAT.
Overall more than 130 new features and improvements have been added to OpenOLAT since release 12.5 and many processes have been improved. Here, you can find the most important new features and changes of the OpenOLAT 13.0 release. In addition to these improvements, more than 100 bugs have been fixed. The complete list of changes for 12.5 – 12.5.12 can be found here.
Introduction of publication status
With this release, the access configuration via OAUG is replaced by the new publication status. This status represents the lifecycle of a learning resource more transparently and is set directly at the learning resource or course.
The following statuses are available:
- Acces for coach
- Trash (authoring area in tab Deleted)
In the author area, the respective publication status of each learning resource is also visible in all overviews in the Lifecycle column. This makes it possible to quickly determine the publication phase of the individual learning resources.
Administration menu and configuration tool for learning resources
The various menus and tools for courses and learning resources have been combined into a single administration menu. The individual entries are divided into thematically similar sections. Only menu entries relevant to the respective learning resource are displayed.
In addition, a new configuration overview has been created under Settings, which contains thematically grouped configurations for the respective learning resource using tabs. Once a learning resource has been created, the overview is automatically displayed and all settings can be made one after the other without forgetting anything.
Access and booking configuration
The access and booking process has been revised and is now closely linked to the publication status. Access to the learning resource can be restricted to one organization or organizational level.
Possible access variants are:
- Private (direct assignment via member management by the administration)
- Bookable (booking method defined and booking by the user)
- Open (possible without booking; access can subsequently also be made available to guests)
With the new, optionally activatable organization module, OpenOLAT creates an approach to multi-client capability. The focus is on mapping an organization with all its relevant areas, such as hierarchical corporate structures, different school areas and faculties or different departments.
Die Organisationstypen, Anzahl der Ebenen und Zuordnung von Subtypen kann pro Instanz festgelegt werden.
Users with specific roles as well as courses can be assigned directly to each organizational level. The user’s organizational affiliation and role can be used to control visibility and access to different areas and courses in OpenOLAT.
A curriculum is closely linked to teaching objectives and contents and follows a certain sequence of events. In OpenOLAT, the curriculum primarily serves to structure the educational offerings. In this way, courses can be displayed in chronological order in a tree structure and thus placed in a concrete educational context. The module is optional.
Curriculum types and their relationship to subtypes are defined for each instance.
A curriculum can be linked to an organization or an organizational level and is therefore only accessible to the respective users of this organization. Users, roles, and courses can also be assigned directly to each curriculum element.
Course details such as date, location and the aggregated timetable can be displayed at curricular level. Participants can view their personal curriculum under Courses.
New role concept
In the course of introducing the organizational and curriculum structures, the role concept in OpenOLAT was completely overhauled. A large number of new roles, in conjunction with the new structures, now enable more flexible use and a stricter separation of administrative tasks.
The separation of system administration, which is solely responsible for system configuration, and administration in the sense of module and function management should be emphasized.
New roles such as Quality Manager, Role Manager and Curriculum Manager have also been created for the newly implemented modules. Existing roles such as User Manager and Learning Resource Manager were revised and their access rights were adapted to the new role concept. Also completely new is the role of Principal, which allows the entire platform to be experienced in read-only mode.
The quality management module is optional and enables comprehensive data collection in OpenOLAT using the new questionnaire. These can be repeated at course level, over several courses and also over a longer period of time at defined intervals.
Individual data collections can be created for a specific survey subject (e.g. coach, organization, curriculum element or course). The data collection generator is used to create recurring data collections, assign the corresponding questionnaire, define the periods for sending the questionnaires, and define any reminders.
Heatmap as well as reports and diagrams allow a quick analysis and evaluation of the data.
New course element “Survey”
A new course element “Survey” was implemented, which can integrate the new questionnaire into courses. The evaluations are displayed directly on the course element.
- General overview with the survey data and the overall evaluation
- Tabular presentation of the answers sorted by question
- Diagram display of answers sorted by question
- Listing of all participants (by name or anonymously) with the individual answers to the survey
The new questionnaire is based on the e-portfolio questionnaire and is detached from the QTI standard. The much more comprehensive content editor is used, which enables a more flexible design of the questionnaire.
Note: With this release, you can no longer create questionnaires in QTI1.2 format. You can still use and copy existing QTI1.2 questionnaires. As of Release 14, however, OpenOLAT will no longer support them.
E-portfolio: Enhancement of the Content Editor
The content editor was expanded to improve and simplify the design of contributions in the e-portfolio. A new container part was implemented, which allows multi-column layouts with text and images.
The picture, table and text parts have also been extended by various setting options. The individual parts and containers can also be rearranged by drag and drop.
- General revision of the e-portfolio for more clarity and better handling
- Templates folder in the e-portfolio
- Extension of the course element Task
- Full screen option for wider view
- Import tool for lesson blocks
- Integration of Nanoo.tv videos into single page
- End of support for Internet Explorer 8
Release Notes – OpenOLAT – Version 13.0.1
- [OO-3757] – GTA: submit a task without a task
- [OO-3759] – No "Standby" mode if OpenOLAT is opened from an email URL in GMX
- [OO-3760] – Certain operations in calendar are "timezoned"
- [OO-3764] – RS in survey report if a rubric has no labels
- [OO-3761] – Order participants by names in PDF lists of the lectures module
- [OO-3762] – Differentiate managed and user created event in the personal calendar
- [OO-3765] – The max entries of provider and autocompleter doesn't match
Release Notes – OpenOLAT – Version 13.0
- [OO-2102] – Top navigation sometimes on two lines
- [OO-3579] – EP: my entries list sorting broken
- [OO-3605] – Question bank: “share with pool” dialog shows too much
- [OO-3606] – Code visible next to blog navigation
- [OO-3653] – Concurrent edit of group EP not save
- [OO-3656] – Navbar on expand/collapse width does not always work
- [OO-3688] – RS: member list in group
- [OO-3690] – User management: last visit of learning resources is wrong
- [OO-3709] – RS: export lectures as PDF
- [OO-3730] – Translation randomly not found
- [OO-3734] – QTI 1.2: RS in sections with shuffled questions
- [OO-3735] – RS: publish course in the trash
- [OO-3749] – Peek view of member list doesn’t respect settings of the course element
- [OO-3241] – Roll call: New status “approved” and “rejected” related to participants sent appeals
- [OO-3288] – Curriculum: module, data structure and managers / services
- [OO-3289] – Curriculum: module administration
- [OO-3290] – Curriculum: management site
- [OO-3291] – Curriculum: curriculum manager role
- [OO-3292] – Curriculum: user view (macro learning path)
- [OO-3293] – Curriculum: REST API and managed flags
- [OO-3297] – Organisation: module, data structure and manager / services
- [OO-3298] – Organisation: module administration
- [OO-3299] – Organisation: user management
- [OO-3300] – Organisations: restrict user search
- [OO-3301] – Organisation: course condition for organisation membership
- [OO-3302] – Organisation: global roles refactoring and restricted roles implementation
- [OO-3411] – Tool to set OO page width to the full width of the browser window if needed
- [OO-3426] – ePortfolio Template Folder
- [OO-3513] – New role “lecture manager”
- [OO-3514] – Separate Systemadministrator from administrator role
- [OO-3516] – New role “principal”
- [OO-3616] – EP: container part in editor to create multi column content
- [OO-3618] – EP: text part with column formatting
- [OO-3619] – EP: table part for better table control and layouting
- [OO-3626] – EP: navigation between entries
- [OO-3666] – Import tool for lecture blocks
- [OO-3668] – Calendar aggregated on curriculum element or type
- [OO-3673] – Survey: New extended content Part – Rubric
- [OO-3676] – Survey: New Course element
- [OO-3677] – Survey: New extended Content part – Text input
- [OO-3678] – Survey: New Content Part – Single Choice
- [OO-3679] – Survey: New Content Part – Multipe Choice
- [OO-3683] – OpenFeedback: My surveys
- [OO-3684] – OpenFeedback: Admin Section Module QM
- [OO-3685] – OpenFeedback: Data Collections
- [OO-3686] – OpenFeedback: Data Collection Generators
- [OO-3687] – OpenFeedback: Analysis
- [OO-3706] – New config tool for resources and rearrangement of menu in resource toolbar
- [OO-3740] – OpenFeedback: New Section for Suggestion for improvement
- [OO-2789] – Integrate iframe-resizer our iframe controller and replace custom resize code
- [OO-3294] – Remove support for IE8, Update jQuery
- [OO-3295] – Update libraries
- [OO-3413] – Simplify addition of nanoo.tv videos to HTML pages
- [OO-3427] – Course element “Task”: Notifications in the “Favorites” tab
- [OO-3440] – Course element “Task”: Confirmation email after submitting revised document
- [OO-3517] – Roll call notifications when status “auto closed”
- [OO-3537] – Text areas with fixed font size
- [OO-3538] – Update integration to OpenMeetings 3.0
- [OO-3542] – Vertical alignment option in Excel export
- [OO-3580] – EP: no error message when invitation email is already used
- [OO-3581] – EP: save timeline visibility state in GUI prefs
- [OO-3584] – Move from BARG to publications status
- [OO-3599] – Delete email addresses from temporary registration keys
- [OO-3604] – Add info about test to results reporting
- [OO-3610] – Make the position of the switch in lectures configurable
- [OO-3611] – Add an option in WebDAV to structure the _other folder
- [OO-3617] – EP: improve image part
- [OO-3620] – EP: move parts in page using d&d
- [OO-3621] – EP: improve placement options of my maps
- [OO-3622] – EP: wording and dialog improvements
- [OO-3623] – EP: improvements in overview/TOC page
- [OO-3624] – EP: simplify process of assigning reviews to other course members
- [OO-3625] – EP: improve bread crumb navigation
- [OO-3627] – EP: improve usability of editor/publish mechanism for personal portfolio
- [OO-3628] – EP: improved start page for e-portfolio
- [OO-3629] – Disable QTI 1.2 based surveys by default
- [OO-3642] – Quick lectures blocks list for administrator
- [OO-3716] – Reopen lectures block in the administration list
- [OO-3726] – Style email content with CSS
- [OO-3731] – Go to full screen doesn’t keep the business path URL
- [OO-3733] – RS: in course list of lectures, select a course in print view
- [OO-3739] – Improve formatting in plain text mails, retain links