OpenOLAT 11.1 is our most recent major release. In this release the new Portfolio 2.o and for the course element test the QTI standard 2.1 have been implemented. With the new portfolio different kinds of binders, sections and entry can be created and the new QTI standard comes with two new question types.
In addition we worked on optimizing the existing OpenOLAT features. Thus we focused especially on the assessment tool and the video feature.
Overall more than 100 new features and improvements have been added to OpenOLAT since release 10.5 and many processes have been improved. Here, you can find the most important new features and changes of the OpenOLAT 11.1 release. In addition to these improvements, more than 190 bugs have been fixed. The complete list of changes to 10.5.1 – 10.5.10 can be found here.
With this release the ePortfolio has been replaced by the Portfolio 2.o. Thereby all authors can create structured portfolio templates with sections and assignments. In a binder several assignments can be created and the access control can be given separately. The focus is no longer on the artifacts, but on assignments and entries.
As until now the portfolio template can be created as learning resource and if desired added to a course as an assessable course element. Afterward authors create sections and assignments.
After the user collected the portfolio template the whole binder with all its assignments can be edited. With every request of a binder it will be synchronized. This update enables adding and editing of the template even after it has been collected by the user.
With the new content editor assignments and entries can be designed individually. Not only title and texts can be added, but also images, videos and citations. Files can be added out of the media center, as for example forum entries or artifacts from the previous portfolio version. Thanks to the drag and drop feature single content elements can be moved and ordered like desired.
As soon as the editing of an assignment is done, it can be published. The access right of published assignments and sections can then be given to other OpenOLAT users or even external coaches.
Coaches can comment and assess assignments or even request a revision. It can the be edited by the user within OpenOLAT again.
Beside the portfolio template all users can create own binders and within sections and entries. Thanks to various media the binder can be designed and used individually. Thus it offers the possibility for self regulated reflexions and optimization of the own learning process.
Portfolio 2.0 in a nutshell
- Portfolio template with sections and assignments
- Binder with several assignments
- Access control of assignments and sections internal as well as external
- Add comments to assignments
- Request revision
- Assessment of portfolio
- Listing in the assessment tool
- Creating own binder
New test infrastructure
The whole test infrastructure has been revised in general. So far tests have been created with the standards IMS QTI 1.2. QTI means Question and Test Interoperability. From this release tests can be created in the standard IMS QTI 2.1. Thus not only two more question types can be created, but also the usability has been highly improved. Unnecessary clicks for adding questions and answer possibilities decrease. Thereby the test creation got simpler and faster as well.
With the change to the QTI 2.1 standard graphic interactions are possible as well and two new question types have been implemented.
The numerical input can be compared with the already known gab text. Instead of texts numerical inputs need to be filled in. An absolute as well as a relative tolerance can be added to the gaps. For the hotspot the seeked item needs to be found and marked in the image. These two question types make it possible to design the tests even more multifarious.
In the long term the QTI 1.2 test infrastructure will be replaced completely by the QTI 2.1 test infrastructure. For the moment OpenOLAT 11.1 is supporting both versions independently next to each other. Thus you have time to get to know the new features and convert your tests into the new format. No questions will get los this way.
Test results of single users can be reseted. It becomes possible to perform a whole tests in the user view, assess it afterward and delete this user, without falsify the test statistics.
Newly anonymous users can perform tests. These results can be shown in the test statistic, if desired.
New test infrastructure in a nutshell
- Update to QTI standard 2.1
- manuel correction
- implementation of two new question types
- Simplified creation of tests
- Performance of tests by anonymous users
The layout of the assessment tool has been revised completely. It simplifies the assessment of single users as well as groups. On the overview page a statistic widget has been added and with at a glance it is visible which users or course element are open for the assessment.
Between single users or course element can be switched easily with the „Next“ button. This simplifies for example the manual setting of passed.
Additionally test results can be exported easily and thus can be archived out of OpenOLAT as well.
Status and passed indication
Four status have been implemented. The most important change is the status ‚done‘. Also if there is no assessment planned for a certain course element, the status can be set on done.
Up to this release only the attribute passed could have been set manually. Now this is also possible for the attribute failed. In this way for instance a course can be set on failed, only when the end date of the course is reached.
Further the possibility of the bulk assessment has been revised. The bulk assessment is available for the course elements tasks, group tasks and assessment.
Furthermore the result reporting has been implemented. This export generates a participant overview of the whole test as well as a html and and xml file per participant. Thus test results can be looked at offline and data can be archived. The result reporting is either activated in the assessment tool or in the archive tool of a course.
PDF certificates are available for quite some time. The validity of a certificate could not be proved from anther person. Now a URL can be added to a certificate. If the handed in certificate complies with the newly activated certificate, it can be called valid. To add this URL, the attribute „certificateVerificationUrl“ needs to be added to the certificate template.
Assessment tool in a nutshell
- Improved usability
- Export of test results
- Status done
- Bulk assessment of course elements
- Validation of certificates
Also in this release it has been worked on the video course element again.
To the video element chapters can be added. An author can separate a video in several chapters. Afterward the user can watch either the whole video or only several chapters.
The transcoding of video allows to provide videos in different resolutions. Especially on mobile devices videos with a high resolution can lead to performance issues. With this transcoding possibility one more step into mobile learning is made.
In the authoring it can be chosen between six resolutions. Videos uploaded as learning resources are transcoded in the chosen resolutions automatically. Every author can take own adaptions in the video configuration. Only as administrator missing transcoding can be generated and deleted.
Users can chose the desired resolution at the bott0m right corner of every video. Watch videos on the way on the smartphone don’t face any barriers any more.
Password for anonymous forum entries
Since the last release forum entries can be created anonymous, which means with a pseudonym. To avoid a multiple use or even an abuse of a pseudonym, a pseudonym which is uses for the first time can be protected by a password. This pseudonym can only be used with the correct password. Conclusions to the user are not possible.
The editor mode, where authors create courses or tests, did not differentiate between the view of the users. Now the editor mode has beed adapted graphically, to see visually right away, in which mode one is located at the moment.
- Recurring events
- Cursor in the corresponding field
Technisches / Framework
- Support of oAuth2 OpenID-Connect Single-Sign-On
- Replacement of the JSMath library through MathJax to present mathematic formula
- Improvement of the Spring Framework in direction Spring 4.0
- Update of several software libraries (mediaelementjs, XStream, PDFBox, Spring, Selenium, Graphene, POI, Jersey, TinyMCE, QR-Code and more)
- Update of the database driver for MySQL and Postgres
Release Notes – OpenOLAT – Version 11.1
- [OO-2111] – Bulk assessment: function should include the new task course element
- [OO-2172] – Towards spring 4
- [OO-2191] – File upload doesn’t show its errors
- [OO-2210] – GTACourseNode is not taken into account for the start bulk assessment dialog
- [OO-2289] – Portfolio edit metadata not possible
- [OO-2317] – Portfolio 2.0: if access control only comment, no grading should be visible
- [OO-2318] – Portfolio 2.0: in history only changes in areas with access control should be visible
- [OO-2319] – Portfolio 2.0: if only 1 entry with access control directly into entries
- [OO-2321] – Portfolio 2.0: as soon as an entry is closed no comments should be possible anymore
- [OO-2322] – Portfolio 2.0: an own portfolio binder cannot be graded
- [OO-2331] – Portfolio 2.0: change order of the content is random
- [OO-2338] – Decode personal notes in QTI 1.2
- [OO-2339] – Discussion of a re-imported Wiki refers to the same forum of the original Wiki
- [OO-2340] – Questionpool: search for theme no result
- [OO-2342] – Log more informations to debug OAuth login issues
- [OO-2346] – QTI 2.1: Import into the questionbank from authoring should be possible
- [OO-2347] – RS if sort in folder goes wrong
- [OO-2350] – QTI 2.1: Delete last section, no more section can be added
- [OO-2351] – Add to LDAP module a configuration for an external change password link
- [OO-2353] – Remove doesn’t work in customising of info page
- [OO-2355] – Memory leak within session in wizard
- [OO-2356] – “ break fill-in-blank input fields
- [OO-2357] – RS creating a wiki on slow system
- [OO-2358] – URL for video in QTI 2.1 for OpenOLAT instance which are not deployed as ROOT
- [OO-2359] – Course members management: Search does not work
- [OO-2360] – File upload doesn’t save the right file name in QTI 2.1
- [OO-2362] – LearnTube launch counter is always zero when rating and comments are disabled
- [OO-2363] – Excel export only configured columns
- [OO-2185] – Editing mathematic formula activates image plug-in
- [OO-2226] – Portfolio: Delete binder
- [OO-2291] – Replace Video Ressource – new button – new tool
- [OO-2312] – Add copy to new test format button for old test resources
- [OO-2314] – Bulk action to convert items to new format in question pool
- [OO-2324] – Portfolio 2.0: teaser image of description ratio is not correct
- [OO-2333] – Portfolio 2.0: infomessage in editor mode for collected portfolio
- [OO-2334] – Cursor should be auto focused on most common field
- [OO-2345] – QTI 2.1: design of word export of kprim questions
- [OO-2348] – QTI 2.1: hotspot points need to be visible
- [OO-2349] – QTI 2.1: gaptext, order of items in score like in the text
- [OO-770] – New assessment tool to reset assessment data
- [OO-2019] – Support for recurring calendar events with exclusions and modifications
- [OO-2168] – Protect guest forum pseudonym with password to make them reusable
- [OO-2246] – Video chapter editor for video learning resource
- [OO-2341] – Download tool for user test result (results reporting) files
- [OO-2354] – Allow LDAP login using email, detach LDAP login name from OpenOLAT username
- [OO-2361] – Video resource management methods
- [OO-2184] – Add chapter about mathematic formulas